Thursday, January 19, 2006

Japanese Whispers (12 June 1983)

When I had the idea of listening to the Cure's albums back to back I hadn't expected to gain such a new look on one of my most favorite Cure albums. Unlike the previous albums Japanese Whispers does NOT start where the previous one left off. Japanese Whispers and it's predecessor are not even remotely the same. There are a couple moments that echo it but these are fleeting.

At first pass it was awkward listening to this album after the very heavy previous three. It took me a couple of attempts only to realize that this is a pop album. In fact if you compare this one to Three Imaginary Boys you are more able to get a feel for The Cure's pop skills, which are good and only get better from here. It seems as though after this album the band go back and forth between very poppy songs/albums to more melancholy ones. It makes sense to me that this album was one of my favorites when I was younger when pop music was all I really had the capability to appreciate. After all, how can a 14 year old appreciate an album like Faith? And if they could, you should probably keep a close eye on them. The previous album reviews have been more looking back i.e. Faith made sense because of it's predecessor. Japanese Whispers turns things on it's head because it makes you look forward for what's next. The Top and Head on the Door are such fantastic albums and most certainly continue where this one leaves off.

One thing I now notice about The Cure's music is it is timeless. None of this stuff sounds dated at all. It always has it's own space which is truly remarkable. It blows my mind that this is the stuff I was listening to at 13 and I can still listen to these albums and they are great now when I am 29!

High Points : Let's Go To Bed, Just One Kiss, The Walk, Lament, The Lovecats

Again the whole album is grrrreat.

No comments: