Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Seventeen Seconds (22 April 1980)

It would be hard to imagine how a band would transition from Boys Don't Cry to Faith. The Cure did exactly this with Seventeen Seconds. However, this is hardly just a transition album. Many die-hard Cure fans list this as one of their favorites of all time. I would agree totally. The jump in musical maturity from BDC to Seventeen Seconds is huge. In listening to this album you can see where the band is headed both lyrically and musically. Some of these songs could have existed on BDC while some most certainly could have landed on Faith. Personally I find this album leaning more toward the sound of Faith but balanced nicely with more up beat ones the keep the album moving. The Cure had release Happily Ever After in the US which was Seventeen Seconds and Faith on one album. I had searched endlessly for this album as a teen but to no avail. As I gathered Cure albums through my younger year, Seventeen Seconds was one of the last albums I purchased, which was strange as A Forest is one of my favorite songs. This was a big mistake and upon purchasing it I played it over and over and over again.

High Points of the album : Play for Today, A Forest, and M

No comments: